Print

Saturday 18 May 2013

Mildred’s Nut Loaf


While out at dinner tonight with 3 lovely friends, I discovered to my horror that some (all) of them haven't been reading my blog! Incredible news I know, and yes, I am just as shocked as you. It did make me think about how I can further spread the news of these ye olde recipes — I really think these recipes are pretty delicious, surprisingly delicious, and I want more people to be able to see what I'm doing. Also, some of the recipes are very delicious. Very.

Last week I was talking with my mum about these recipes, as I am wont to do quite a bit given my levels of confusion with ingredients, cooking styles and odd and mysterious measurements. (Just what sort of trombone can be used to make a cake? A trombone pumpkin as it turns out. Yes, THAT recipe went straight into the bin let me tell you. Pumpkin.) Anyway, I'd mentioned I was going to give Mildred's Nut Loaf recipe a go, and Mum asked if I had a nut loaf tin. Of course I replied, "I don't know what that is". Two days later, one appeared in the mail. 

It's like wishes I didn't even know I wanted made are being rained upon me! I then had to google how nut loaf tins are actually used. One stands them upright as it turns out, and they have to be well greased and lined, in order for the cooked nut loaf to slide right out. To become the cake equivalent of what looks awfully like a strange roll of luncheon meat, I know that's a disgusting comparison, but it does. Thankfully though, it tastes delicious and now I feel a bit guilty about potentially insulting the memory of Mildred. 

Mildred’s Nut Loaf

2 cups self-raising flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. treacle
115g finely chopped walnuts
Pinch salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
85g chopped dates
1 tbsp. raisins

Preheat oven to 160°C.
Grease and line with baking paper your nut loaf tin (or a normal loaf tin if you don’t have one).

Sift flour into a bowl, add the sugar, salt, walnuts, and raisins. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and milk together, then add the treacle and chopped dates, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients and then spoon the mixture into prepared loaf tin. The mixture shouldn't completely fill the tin, about half to two-thirds full.  

Cook for 45-50 minutes. Once removed from the oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing nut loaf tin lids and tipping (or pushing) the loaf out onto a cooling rack.

Slice the nut loaf, and serve with lots of butter!

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment