Print

Saturday 20 July 2013

Orange Banana Cake

It has been a while since I've done some serious cooking, and an invitation to help a friend out this weekend with her volunteer work has given me the opportunity to remedy that. In addition to helping out put together Birthing Kits, I offered to bring along a cake. Or three. 

Given I had so many oranges left over from the Orange Peel Jam effort, I combed through the cookbook to find some orange based recipes with which to use them up. I also had a very ripe banana (brown spots yuck) left over from my snacking during the week so today I present you, Orange Banana Cake. I made this last night after getting home from a lovely work colleague's farewell drinks and like many of my mildly boozy cooking efforts, it turned out rather well. A very high and firm cake, without being too dense. You'll enjoy it.  

The recipe calls for the grated rind of one orange, as well as  cup of orange juice. I thought to use the juice from the one orange, keeping waste to a minimum; helpfully, the amount of juice I squeezed from the orange I had just grated the rind from only came to ½ cup. Perhaps I should have sourced larger oranges. My supper last night ended up being pieces of leftover orange and mixing bowl offerings.


Orange Banana Cake

115g butter
¾ cup sugar
1 tbsp. honey
Grated rind of 1 orange
⅓ cup orange juice
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 ripe banana
2 eggs
2 cups self-raising flour
¼ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. milk

Preheat oven to 160°C

Cream butter and sugar, add honey, grated rind, fruit juice and mashed banana. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in sifted flour and salt, alternating with milk.
Place in greased baking tin (20cm round) and cook for about 1 hour.

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment