Print

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Marshmallow Cake

On a really hot day in the middle of summer I cooked this abomination of a cake. My mum had just driven over with my cats who she had been minding for me while I settled into my new home upon returning to Melbourne. It really was too hot to leave the house for any length of time, so I thought I'd bake. Note to self, baking on a really hot day is a very very stupid thing to do. 

When I say abomination of a cake, I mean it. Nothing went right - the cake base crumbled to bits because it wasn't really a cake, and the smell produced by the 'real gelatine' honestly had me thinking that something had died outside and the stench was wafting in. I couldn't even taste it. So I made my mum do so, and while she tried to be polite, her screwed up face told me all I needed to  know. 

Also, not a marshmallow to be seen in the list of ingredients. Again with the erroneous naming conventions of these recipes. Was marshmallow so luxurious that this ersatz version was all that could be managed? Cornflakes again make an appearance though. 

Cake base fail.



Marshmallow Cake

1 cup self raising flour
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
1 ½ cup cornflakes
Pinch salt
Vanilla essence
115g copha

Preheat oven to 160°C

Melt copha, then mix through all the dry ingredients. 
Press firmly into a cake tin and cook in the oven for about 15 minutes. 
Let cool then pour the Marshmallow Topping over the cake. 

Marshmallow Topping
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tbsp. gelatine
Pinch cream tartar
pink or red food colouring

Bring all the ingredients (except for the food colouring) to the boil and boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and cool completely. Beat until white and thick, add pink colouring and pour over cake.

~
For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment