Print

Monday 7 July 2014

Seed Cake

Goodness me it's been a while! I have finally finished study for this semester and received my marks for all assignments, feeling quite happy with the distinction I received for my last assignment to be honest. Of course, now that means I have to get a high distinction next time... 

So anyway, this window of free time now means I am baking almost furiously to try and finish the last few recipes I had decided to cook for this project. I have only SEVEN to go after this one. Happy days! Now I'm starting to think about some of the recipes I'll have to rewrite to make sure they work properly, and to rephotograph some of the very ugly biscuits and cakes I made early on. 

One very flat cake. 
Regarding this Seed Cake, again we are presented with a recipe that has a familiarly scant regard for detail. Who would think that including the number of eggs needed for a cake is important? By now, not me. The eggs which were mentioned halfway through the method! So I had to guess how many I needed, correctly I think. I did use the wrong type of flour and have amended the recipe accordingly so that you can get it right. 
You will see from my photographs that this cake really did need self-raising flour after all.
I think I dealt with the situation pretty well in turning these into cake-biscuits. They were almost like scones. Almost. On the topic of scones, you may all know by now how deeply I feel scones are my food nemesis, recently however, I made some that look like proper ones! A miraculous event aided by my mum giving me a very simple yet effective recipe (thanks Mum). I added cocoa to make chocolate scones and am now investigating how to make other kinds of scones too. An amazing turnaround. I really am channelling my Nanna now. 

Anyway, back to the Seed Cake, a very delicate and subtle flavour of citrus imbues this cake, it's soft and perfect with rich cream (what isn't?) and it's shockingly easy to make with so few ingredients.



Seed Cake
115 g. Butter
115 g. Sugar
170 g. Self-raising flour
2 eggs
2 tsp. Poppy seed
½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. Lemon rind 
Water 

Preheat oven to 230°  

Cream the butter and sugar, then add the flour, poppy seeds, cinnamon, egg and enough water (add a few tablespoons at a time) to make a thick paste. Roll, or pat flat, then place into a flat tin. 
Bake for about 15 minutes, letting it cool before turning out. 

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so photos of scone please.

Post a Comment