Print

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Golden Glow Cake

Golden Glow Cake. So named because of its high citrus content, presumably, and not for its luminescent radiance. It's handy I had this Orange Peel Jam prepared earlier so I used this instead of the marmalade called for in the recipe — however you will note that they are in all likelihood, one and the same thing. 

This cake was made for a colleague's birthday, and of course it was a resounding success, with many positive things murmured by cake muffled voices. There are leftovers however, so perhaps everyone was... being kind? It was one of a few cakes and tarts brought into 'My Workplace of Cakes'. Apart from it feeling a little like a CWA competition, it was very interesting to compare the taste of this Nanna cake with those modern cakes. I made sure I tasted all of the others of course. For. Research. I think that my Nanna's cakes, really do taste vintage and retro. I really liked the other cakes, but there was a different kind of sweetness and texture than I have become accustomed to, in fact they almost seemed too sweet. I think my cake palate has undergone a shift, and I may need to stay with my vintage recipes. They taste of more than nostalgia now, and I'm starting to find my own personal cake style in these recipes. 

My love of vintage cooking will never extend to scones of course. They can stay in the past the horrible boring things.   




Golden Glow Cake

2 cups self-raising flour
2 eggs, separated
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup of water
½ cup chopped walnuts
4 tbsp. orange marmalade
2 tbsp. candied orange peel, chopped
1 tbsp. grated orange peel
Lemon flavoured icing

Preheat oven to 160°C

Cream butter and sugar, then add the egg yolks and beat well.
Add marmalade, candied orange peel and chopped walnuts.
Add sifted flour alternately with water. Beat until smooth then fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
Place mixture into greased and floured baking tin, and cook for 45 minutes.
When cold, ice with lemon flavoured icing.

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment