Print

Saturday 5 October 2013

Wholemeal Tea Cake

This is a healthy cake. And this time I'm not lying, unlike the diabetic coma inducing Spiced Apple Cake I'd blithely told one and all was 'like muesli' in terms of healthiness. I still feel a bad about that one, but it did taste so so good... 

For all you clean-eating people out there, this is a cake which you could include in your diet. If you were arm-twistingly forced to have a piece of cake that is. I think the inclusion of cinnamon adds the sweetness this cake needs, and is why this is a taste success. The wholemeal flour brings a risk of overcooking so do carefully watch the cooking time when you make this. It is very much a cake to have with a strong tea or coffee, perfect afternoon tea break stuff. 

Speaking of afternoon tea, I had a wonderful tea and cake experience today. I was at the blood bank, and today was my 50th donation! So in addition to the standard cake, tea and cordial and giggles I receive from the lovely staff at the Red Cross Blood Bank, I received a bunch of balloons and a badge celebrating that I've been well and healthy enough to donate plasma and platelets 50 times. If you're interested in finding out more about donating blood or other important bodily fluids, check out...




Wholemeal Tea Cake

2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. of coffee essence
¼ cup warm water
½ cup raisins
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 160°C

Cream butter and sugar, add beaten egg, coffee essence, warm water and raisins.
Sift flour with salt and cinnamon into mixture and combine well. 

Place into greased cake tin, and bake for 25-30 minutes.

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment