Print

Monday 16 September 2013

Honey Cakes

Halfway! We are halfway with the recipes! This is the 29th baking effort, and I have 29 to go. There is light at the end of the buttery, sugary, cake-filled tunnel! 

In response to the increasingly vocal dismay of my colleagues/tasters about their ruined eating habits as a result of my cooking (all your diets are belong to me), I promised to look for a cake that was as close to the principles of 'clean eating' as possible. 

No, really.  

Anyway, Honey Cakes is it. Almost. While I'd never suggest this is the healthiest of snacks, there is very little refined sugar in this recipe and the ingredient list is pretty minimal. Yes, I know honey is sugar, but it's better. With organic flour and lovely fresh oranges used, it's not so bad. Of course I always use lovely tasty proper butter - there is nothing like it. This cake is actually quite tasty, honey should be in everything. It's so fragrant and adds a lovely density to cakes. 



Honey Cakes

½ cup butter
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. orange zest
½ cup honey
2 cups self-raising flour
2 eggs
½ cup orange juice

Icing to decorate

Preheat oven to 160°C

Cream butter, sugar and orange zest, while gradually drizzling in the honey.
Add a few tablespoons of flour, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well. 
Add the remaining sifted flour, alternating with orange juice. 
Spoon into patty tins and cook for 15 minutes.

Ice and decorate as desired. Or just eat straight from the oven. Did I tell you how fragrant the honey is? 

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment