Print

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Spicy Apple Tart

If you want a tart that looks like an apple pie, I have just the recipe for you! I had wanted to make this earlier in the week, but upon reading my notes, realised I didn't have, as the original recipe asks, a tea cup of cake crumbs. Who has cake crumbs just hanging around? Who has leftover cake in order to make cake crumbs?! Well, not me. When I read 'tea cup of cake crumbs', I have to admit I hastily misread and thought I needed to have a cup of teacake crumbs. So I made one. (See next blog post). I thought I'd take half to work and use the other half to make the bread crumbs. Not so. I ended up buying a small apple teacake and tossing half of it into the blender. The other half is sitting on my kitchen bench, rather unappealingly. For this recipe, any plain (leftover!) cake would do. 

Back to the tart however, it looks like an apple pie! I think it is an apple pie. I followed the recipe to the letter but am not really convinced it's a tart. I think if one latticed the pastry on top it would be more tart like? It was lovely though, so well worth making and eating all the same. No leftovers I might add.



Spicy Apple Tart

Filling
½ kg apples (approx. 5 medium apples)
85g sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
½ cup water
1 cup cake crumbs (pop a slice of cake into a blender to ‘crumb’)

Peel, core and slice apples thinly. Place into saucepan with sugar, lemon zest and water. Simmer on very low heat for about 15 mins. Drain and cool.

Pastry
85g plain flour
85g cornflour
85g butter
55g caster sugar
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 egg yolk (keep egg white aside for brushing onto pastry)
Pinch of salt
A little water
1 tbsp. sugar for sprinkling onto pastry.

Sieve dry ingredients together, then rub in butter. Stir egg yolk and a little water. Knead until free from cracks. Roll out until 5mm in thickness.

Preheat oven to 150°C.


Sponge tin and line with Pastry, sprinkle over half the cake crumbs, half the apple pulp and the remaining crumbs and apple. Roll out the remaining pastry to put on top. Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 1 hour.

~


For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment