Print

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Coconut Ice Cake

This one was the most straightforward cake yet; there were no mysterious measurements, no last-minute ingredients not listed, nothing that made me clench my wooden spoon in bafflement and frustration. In fact, it was almost dull in its simplicity and ease. A white cake with pink icing. A Barbie™ cake. I had a Barbie™ when I was about eight years old, and she got a haircut pretty quickly. 

Back to the cake. It seemed very runny when I was pouring the mix into the cake tin, and I thought I'd have to remake it using a smaller amount of milk. To my surprise it turned out perfectly okay, the cake is fluffy, soft and its texture quite silky. A great late night snack with my evening cup of herbal tea. 

I'll probably have dreams of Barbie™ and pink.  





Coconut Ice Cake

1½ cups self-raising flour
¼ tsp. salt
2 cups milk
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ tsp. vanilla essence
½ cup sugar
60g. butter
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 160°C, grease and line a baking tin. 

Sift flour and salt. Set aside.
Combine milk, coconut and vanilla. 
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs then add half the flour, blending well. 
Add the coconut mixture then the remainder of the flour. 
Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes. 
Allow to cool completely before icing. 

Coconut Ice
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 tbsp. butter
2 cup coconut
2 tsp. vanilla essence
A few drops of food colouring (optional)

Boil the sugar and milk for 8 minutes. Remove from heat. 
Add butter, coconut and vanilla, beating until thick. 
Add food colouring, and spread over the cooled cake. 

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment