Print

Saturday 10 August 2013

Johnny Cake

Since the beginning of this project, and seeing the name of this cake, I have wanted to make this for my neighbour whose son is named Johnny. I also thought Johnny himself might be amused by a cake-like namesake. 

The other night as I read the list of ingredients, I considered the wisdom of giving a cake with this much beer in it to a child! The original recipe called for 'half a bottle' but that's quite an immeasurable measure. I added beer (Cooper's Best Extra Stout) glass by glass until I guessed the correct consistency of the cake. I ended up adding two and a half glasses (625ml). This is a lot. The cake smells very boozy, but isn't very sweet and is almost like a beer bread, in cake form. 

You should daub your slice of cake with some quality butter and enjoy this with a strong cup of tea. 

Johnny Cake

4 cups self-raising flour
85g. butter
85g. sugar
¼ cup currants
¼ cup sultanas
1 tbsp. mixed spice
2½ cups beer

Topping
2 tbsp. plain flour
3 tbsp. desiccated coconut
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar

Preheat oven to 160°C

Rub butter into flour, add sugar, fruit and mixed spice.
Add the beer, mixing to a soft dough.
Pour into greased and floured cake tins.

Mix topping ingredients together, sprinkle evenly over top of cake mixture before placing into a moderate oven for 1 hour.

~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your cake stand Natasha! I have to admit, I'm a little sad to be seeing all the cake I've been missing out on - I can't imagine getting cake fatigue (though I suppose I'm just as guilty of cake-enabling...)

Hope you're well!

Cheers

Yan

Post a Comment