Print

Sunday 25 August 2013

Girlie's Sultana Cake

A teacup of milk. 

I've been waiting for this measurement unit since first going through the recipe books some months ago, and here it is. Were all teacups in ye olden times exactly the same size? I can't believe that, however why else would this be used within a recipe? Who was Girlie and what was she thinking? It's not helpful. I went through my teacup selection and realised this ingredient would be included only after the most guessy of guesses. 

If Goldilocks were to come across my empty house in the woods and make a choice from my teacup selection, she too may have chosen the pink one. It seemed neither too large nor too small, however as it's not really a measurement, I have NO IDEA if it's right or not. The cupcakes seem moist enough, so I suppose I'll have to accept that it is close enough.  



Tomorrow is Cupcake Day for the RSPCA and a colleague has arranged for a cupcake extravaganza, and has invited everyone to contribute to this fundraising effort. Wonderful! Cakes, animals, charity goodness. A win for all concerned. I get to bake a heap of cupcakes AND I don't have to eat them all. My waistline is very happy about this. So, in my kitchen I have 30+ cupcakes ready to be frosted, sprinkled, and priced. I'll probably not charge so much, as I had left out the lemon essence, only noticing the little bottle on the kitchen bench as I was placing the cooked cupcakes onto cooling racks. See my previous post about memory issues. So, what we have here is a sultana cake. With very little flavour beyond butter, sugar and flour. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's potentially going to be a little bland. I will put the missing lemon essence in the frosting, and this will hopefully ensure the correct taste is approximated. 


Girlie’s Sultana Cake

3 cups self-raising flour
225g. butter
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup sultanas
⅔ cup milk
½ tsp. lemon essence

Preheat oven to 150°C

Cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well. 
Add the flour, sultanas and milk to mix. Pour into prepared tin/cupcakes then bake until cooked, testing with a skewer after 30 minutes if baking in a tin, or after 12-14 minutes if cooking cupcakes. I cooked these cupcakes for about 18 minutes. 


Ice with topping of your choice.





~

For those of you who are not in Australia, please find here a selection of Measurement & Temperature Conversion Charts which should help with the accuracy of your own cooking. 

2 comments:

bekswhoknits said...

a teacup of milk!
As a collector of tea cups, I have many shapes and sizes - I don't think I have two the same.

Natasha said...

I have a few teacups as well and no two are the same either. Clearly 'Girlie' was referring to a specific teacup in her kitchen...

Post a Comment